Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Even Worse

Dave Flores DunnysCool Hunting had a post yesterday that I somehow missed about the release of David Flores' new Kidrobot Dunny figures, Bad and Evil [pictured, left to right]. I like the use of gold and silver in these 8" Dunnys that will be available from Kidrobot on March 9th, but the continuous contour drawings that Mr. Flores is so fond of remind me of my basic drawing classes at Carnegie Mellon University, and thus fill me with dread. Maybe that's why he titled them "Bad" and "Evil". It's not that his work isn't well executed, it is just that it is basic and simplistic. It's the kind of thing anyone could do with the stained glass filter in Photoshop®. Even Cool Hunting acknowledges its similarity to stained glass. Flores is quite prolific, though, producing skateboard designs for Deluxe, Shorty's and Stereo, as well as working with clothing lines XLARGE, Stussy and Recon. He will also have his own vinyl toy, Konartis, produced in association with Kidrobot and available in May. "Konartis", huh? Sounds like "con artist" to me. I guess you have to have some sort of gimmick to make it as an artist nowadays.

No comments: