Thursday, January 12, 2006

Get Decked

I got an e-mail this morning from Ningyoushi letting me know about all of the new products that they have gotten in for the new year. I already posted about the life-size Yoda yesterday. I think I may have mentioned the new Star Wars series 5 Kubricks as well. What really interests me right now is the new book Boards: The Art + Design of the Skateboard. According to Ningyoushi:Boards: The Art + Design of the Skateboard
The seventies had album covers; the nineties had zines. Today, the coolest graphic design is underfoot, on the decks of skateboards around the country.

Boards is the first book to focus on the unique art of deck design, featuring hundreds of color images spotlighting some of the hottest work of today's hippest designers, including the boards of Birdhouse, Girl, Chocolate, Zoo York, Enjoi and 5boro. In addition, today's top artists and graphic designers talk about why they do what they do, from their influences and inspirations - kitchen appliances, sixties design, skate camp, the New York City subway system - to their technique. Combined with sick trick shots, Boards is a visual feast for any skateboarding fanatic.
I'm not sure about that first paragraph. There was plenty of amazing skateboard design back in the eighties and nineties as well as today. Remember the old Lance Mountain Future Primitive deck? Or how about the old Kevin Staab Pirate deck? Even Natas Kaupas' old-skool Panther deck is pretty cool. And don't even get me started on the Tony Hawk or Powell Peralta skull decks. Those are my favorites. Seth had a Powell Skull and Sword deck back in the day, with clear grip tape, that rocked. I wonder what happened to that board? I still have both of my old boards, my Alva Eddie Reategui and my Tony Hawk signature edition deck. Both of them are well-worn and covered with stickers. I can't seem to find pictures of them unmarred anywhere on the 'net, though. If anyone has any pictures of artistic ol' skool decks that they would like to share, I'd love to see them. Anyway, that's my two cents on the subject.

No comments: