Tuesday, January 10, 2006

For Seth

Everything is AmericanOne of Seth's favorite photographers, and subsequently one of mine (Seth gave me his book for my birthday a couple of years ago), Charlie White is having his first solo show in nearly three years, "Everything is American," starting this Friday, January 13th (spooky), my father's birthday, from 6-8pm at the Andrea Rosen Gallery in New York. Whew, that sure was a mouth-full. Anyway, Seth, if you get the chance, go check out the opening and let me know how it went. Also, give Charlie a great big hug and kiss for me! I love that guy and his disturbing imagery. According to Ami Kealoha at Cool Hunting:
White's latest subjects, like the Tate-LaBianca murder trial, gymnastics, and early man, are cultural touchstones that capture the popular imagination and inspire controversy. Created with elaborately-staged sets and lighting design, his work is about the horror and pathos of history and current events; in part, a comment on how popular mediums like film and television communicate these collective stories. The dramas as envisioned by White's unflinching gaze make for unsettling results: a young gymnast open-mouthed in her coach's arms [picuted above], a human-like creature with gore in his hand and at his feet, and a courtroom crowd foregrounded by three women with shaved heads. Honest and ambiguous—Is she yelling or moaning? Are the entrails human or animal?—the effect is neither drained of emotion nor overtly manipulative.
All in all, very different from White's earlier work with his "Understanding Joshua" series (the book that Seth gave me), but still very interesting and elaborately-staged like his earlier work.

[I'll upload pics of my new kicks as soon as my 'net connection at home starts working again (stupid neighbors).]

2 comments:

Setholonius said...

YES! Thanks for posting this. I'll definitely check out the exhibit. Maybe I'll even stinkhand the artist himself.

Limited Ed. said...

Don't forget to give him a reach-around for me!