Thursday, September 16, 2004

Blowin' The Shofar

Get your damn dirty mind out of the gutter! I'm not talking about a guy who drives a limo, I'm talking about a hollowed out ram's horn played like a trumpet. This morning, the first day of Rosh Hashanah, the shofar is blown to herald in the new year. I tried to find some Limited Ed. shofars, but I think every shofar is pretty limited, 'cause there really aren't that many people out there that play 'em. My father told me at Synagogue this morning that I should compose a symphony for piano and shofar. If I did, I would have to get a shofar from Studio Shofar Judaica & Gifts - quality shofars from Israel, retail & wholesale! Ya' can't beat a wholesale shofar.

If I was composing a symphony for shofar, for the bass part I would get one of these Jumbo Yemenite Shofars:



For the mids, I would use one of these Small Yemenite Shofars:



And for the treble I would use one of these Medium Ram's Horn Shofars:



Unfortunately there ain't too much pitch control on a shofar, so size does matter... for the pitch that is. Y'all know what I'm talking about right? Size matters when you're blowing the shofar. Come on, that's not that funny. Quit snickering, dammit! God is watching.

No comments: