Thursday, June 10, 2004

R.I.P. Ray Charles



I heard that Ray Charles died today while I was in line at the drive-thru at Taco Bell. I was not only saddened by the passing of this musical legend but also tormented by the thought that it will be overshadowed by the passing of a mediocre actor and half-wit president. When I told the African American girl who was running the drive-thru that Ray Charles had died, she said, "Who?" How could she not know who Ray Charles was? I saw Ray Charles perform in Savannah in 1997. It was an amazing show. The mayor proclaimed it Ray Charles day and gave him the key to the city. He sang "Georgia On My Mind," I almost cried. I shed a tear now for Ray Charles and anyone who doesn't know who this great artist was. Although the Pepsi commercials were a little much.

No comments: