Friday, June 04, 2004

Andy Kaufman Lives!

Psych!!! So there have been a lot of rumors going around the web that Andy Kaufman is still alive. There's even a blog announcing his return, supposedly written by Mr. Kaufman himself, and a phony news article floating around Yahoo! News about it. Snopes.com has all of the urban legend information on this one for ya'. Reading all this crappola about Kaufman, one of my childhood heroes, reminded me of the documentary Running Fence (1978) that I saw while attending the Savannah College of Art & Design on the conceptual artist Christo in which Mr. Kaufman makes a cameo appearance. Or at least, I think he does. It was one of those things where I was the only person watching the documentary who noticed Kaufman's presence. I have never been able to verify this, but now the documentary, along with four others about Christo and his wife Jeanne-Claude produced and directed by the Maysles brothers, is available on the DVD:



5 Films About Christo and Jeanne-Claude - A Maysles Films Production
. So I can finally go back and see if it really was Kaufman. Hopefully this will dispel some of the rumors about his reemergence after 20 years. If not, at least it might help sell some DVDs about a very interesting artist produced by two amazing documentarians. I'm not sure if the DVD is Limited Ed., but you better get 'em while they are hot.

No comments: