Thursday, November 03, 2005

Das AFX

Hangable Auto BulbOn a foggy October Monday 10 years ago, in Sheffield [England, duh], Warp records quietly released Aphex Twin a.k.a Richard D. James' 'Hangable Autobulb' project in it's original 2 E.P form. Much speculation surrounded this mythical release as only 1000 pressings were ever made on vinyl. Of course, in 1995, information wasn't as commonly shared on the worldwide web and so many enthusiastic punters didn't get to hear these strange beats. These were the first releases that marked AFX's experimentation with the dynamics, speed and programming that had evolved through the UK jungle scene morphing it into something entirely alien or rather, something entirely Richard D. James. This sound is one which many now find synonymous with Aphex Twin, defined by the landmark 'Richard D. James' album, even though 'Hangable Autobulb' was first to introduce it. The rest is musical history.
Along with Alec Empire and Squarepusher, Richard D. James, a.k.a. Aphex Twin, is one of my favorite electronic musicians. I appreciate his twisted, demented, dented and inventive sound. It sounds like what is going through my head when everything is still and quiet. Well, everything except for the rattling of the heater, the sound of passing cars, the hum of the computer, the buzz of the fan, the ticking of the clock, the click-clack of hard shoes on linoleum outside of my office door, etc. All of which actually sounds a lot like an Aphex Twin song. If you can find an original vinyl pressing of Hangable Autobulb or if you got one when they originally came out, consider yourself amazingly lucky. This is one fine piece of very Limited Ed. vinyl. And now anyone can own it on CD.Carded Boba Fett

Also very Limited Ed., but plastic and not vinyl (like some toys are), is this carded Boba Fett Kubrick over at Ningyoushi. This was only available at the BAPE Gallery in 2003 and features the look of the original Kenner Boba Fett packaging. For $350.00 this little guy better be extremely rare and hard to get! Also, at that price, you better keep it mint in the package. I just wish my parents hadn't sold all of my old Star Wars toys at yard sales when I was a kid. I got so mad one time, I went over to the kid's house who bought my Snowspeeder and smashed it, so he couldn't play with it either. That was awesome! I am so proud of myself for that! Those were the days. I'd go apologize to the kid, but I heard he eventually went to Princeton or Harvard or some such ivy-league school and is probably making a ton of money now, so I don't feel so bad about it. See, Karma dude, Karma. It really does work!

No comments: