Thursday, March 16, 2006

I Enjoy Nightmares

Nightmares on WaxNot the kind that I have in my sleep, where I have to go back to high school because they discovered that I hadn't finished one of my classes and I have to take an exam that I haven't studied for and I'm in my boxers and everyone is pointing and laughing at me. No, I mean the kind on wax. Specifically, Nightmares on Wax's new album, In a Space Outta Sound, currently available for presale on Warp Records, which will be released on March 20th. The CD or 2 x 12" record release comes with free custom 'cigarette' rolling papers. I have always been a fan of Nightmares on Wax for their trip-hoppy soundscapes and booty-thumping bass. According to the Warp website:
A contemporary and varied album of many textures, and also a personal journey. On 'In A Space Outta Sound' the Nightmares seal of quality is evident; Infectious but simple rhythms, Quincy Jones-esque synth lines, the blues, and the fusion of relaxed dub and Balearic melodies, as well as Burru drumming on 'African Pirates' and a touch of Eastern harpsichord melody on 'Damn'. Of course, the other factor in George’s formula is the touch of glowing warmth that infects his music. As the Times newspaper once said, “George Evelyn is one of those people who can bottle sunshine”.
Nightmares on Wax will be going on tour with Iration Steppas Soundsystem soon. There will be Dubplates and guest vocalists galore, so check them out if they come to your town.

Also, if you live in North Carolina, be sure to check out Signal, the Southeast Electronic Music Festival, Friday April 7th and Saturday April 8th, 2006 at various venues around Chapel Hill, featuring quite a few of my friends.

I apologize for not posting anything for the last couple of days, posting nothing but sneakers recently, and for my blog being down on Tuesday. I have been very busy.

No comments: