Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Zissou?

The man, Josh Rubin, is on a mission. A mission quite a few people who have seen the movie The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou are on. That mission: to get Adidas to release the special edition sneakers made specifically for the movie. Here's a post about Josh's current progress. Here's a picture from the movie:



Here's a post some jerk-face wrote at Gawker putting the movie down. Not just the movie, but all of the people who want the shoes from the movie. Now, I have seen all of Wes Anderson's films and I have enjoyed them all. A lot of people didn't like The Life Aquatic, for reasons I don't and may never understand, but I thought it was an amazing epic adventure, full of the sort of magic realism that Gabriel Garcia Marquez would fully appreciate, and containing some of the best set design I have ever seen in a feature film. That they recreated the ship The Belafonte in all of its glory as a cut-away set complete with an aquarium with dolphins in it so that they could film movement between cabins from a side-view, and revealed it to the audience in a behind-the-scenes way, was well worth the price of admission.The idea that Gawker considers the narrative of the movie bloated just goes to show how dim-witted and attention-deficited people have become in our sorry, TV-addicted country. Maybe it is because I live in North Carolina, where "pseudo-hipster lifestyle sheep" aren't as prevalent, that I don't consider wanting a pair of Zissou Adidas to be jumping on some sort of bandwagon, just a way of expressing my delight in a film that I greatly enjoyed and a product that I have always loved and worn. Of course, Gawker makes no mention of the Onitsuka Tiger "Tai-Chi" shoes:



That were made popular by Uma Thurman and Quentin Tarantino in the movie Kill Bill Vol. 1. Just a minor detail, I guess, but one that someone with an attention to detail would not overlook. And yes, I know the picture of the Onitsuka Tigers that I posted are an opposite colorway. They only sold 1,500 of the Kill Bill versions, and they are long gone. These are the only ones still available, that's why I posted them, silly. Oh, and by the way Gawker, I have already made my donation to the tsunami relief effort and bought my grandmother a gift for her 90th birthday, but thanks for the reminder.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa.... Limited Ed takes a stab at flaming other bloggers.
Sweeet. Let the games begin!

Limited Ed. said...

Like the Human Torch used to say, "Flame on!"