Thursday, January 06, 2005

The Monkey Wrench Gang

Yeah, I know I have been a little slack about my postings recently. I have been working on a t-shirt design for the crew of the movie The Kingdom of Silence that my brother is working on over in Thailand. Don't worry everybody, he's fine. He was in Chiang Mai in Northern Thailand when the earthquake and subsequent tsunami hit, so he only experienced some moderate shaking on the fourteenth floor of his condotel. I have also been extremely busy at work with the new year upon us. I am actually expected to be doing work while I'm here. Well, I took a little break from work to find something Limited Ed. for y'all. It's the 1975 Edward Abbey written, R. Crumb illustrated graphic novel, The Monkey Wrench Gang (Dream Garden edition):

This well-known [not to me] book is a fictional account of four "environmental warriors" liberating parts of Utah and Arizona from evil road-builders, miners and rednecks [are rednecks really evil?]. The book fueled a new generation of angry young environmentalists (such as Earth First!) practicing monkey-wrenching, sabotage for the sake of protecting the wilderness.
I don't know, I guess I just like monkeys. Or the environment. Or something. Hell, I don't know! Just leave me alone. I have work to do.

[Also, check out my new music link Boom Selection for all of the latest mash-ups (via Social Pest)]

1 comment:

M said...

That you posted this is ironic - while Abbey would've appreciated your sense of humor, he would've found the idea of "Pimp Watches" and "blogs" slightly less annoying than nuclear power plants and disco music. He was one of the last, greatest cowboys - in the truest sense, as he was a trenchant luddite and libertarian ... and, in his own words, an "agrarian anarchist."

However, I had no idea there was an edition of The Monkey Wrench Gang illustrated by Crumb. Quite an excellent find. If you ever want to read any Abbey, I recommend The Fool's Progress. It's tragicomic, like all good literature should be.