Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Banksy Is My Hero

Banksy CND SoldiersIf Banksy were a girl, I would find her and marry her and keep her for my own, never letting her out of my apartment. Unfortunately, this would keep the female Banksy from creating any more of her wonderful, inventive, creative, and original "vandalism," as some people refer to it. I prefer to think of it as outdoor art. Or muralism. Or guerrilla street art. In Esquire's Genius Issue, they named Banksy "Vandal of the Year." Like this is the first year he has been around. I remember when I first heard of Banksy about two years ago. I would tell people about his work and they would say, "Who the hell is Banky? Are you talking about Jason Lee's character from Chasing Amy?" And I would punch them in the face for being so out-of-the-loop. I've grown a lot less violent since then, but people still don't know who Banksy is. Fortunately, Pictures on Walls knows who he is and has a new one of his prints available for purchase. I first saw CND Soldiers featured in the very same Esquire Genius Issue that I mentioned earlier. This is one of my favorite Banksy stencils, and as the e-mail that I received from P.O.W. states, "It's a thousand days since the invasion of Iraq and what better way to commemorate the occassion than making a de-luxe art product by some pussy that's never fought a war in his life?" The truth hurts, doesn't it? Prices may be high, but with Banksy's current popularity, apparently it's worth it.

No comments: